This winter season, it’s normal to come across a few weather delays that keep you in an airport for longer than you expected. Don’t fret! These tips will help you just in case your travel plans don’t go exactly as planned.
- Find a hotel deal on your phone: If winter weather delays your travel, call it a night and book a night at the closest Best Western Hotels & Resorts location instead of sleeping at the airport. The Best Western to Go! app gives you access to more than 4,100 properties worldwide and amenities like free high-speed internet and a great breakfast. Transform your potentially stressful layover into a relaxing getaway.
- Call the airline: Although you can wait in line to speak with someone at the airport, it may be quicker to call the airline while you are waiting in line. When you call the airline, remember that being nice usually gets you a lot further. Request an immediate alternate flight and if they can’t offer you that, see if they can compensate you for the evening.
- Check other ways to travel: If you really need to make it to your destination on time, look into other modes of transportation. Usually, cities with airports have train stations and places to rent cars nearby. Call the closest train station or car rental location and see if they can get you to your destination a little quicker.
- Adventure outside of the airport: If you are going to be stuck in the airport for a long period of time, it may be worth it to head out and explore the city you are in. Remember that you can leave the airport, but you will have to go back through security when you come back for your new flight.
- Download your favorite streaming channel: Netflix, Hulu and Amazon will come in handy if you have little ones with you. Download one of these apps on your mobile device and start binge-watching a TV show or distract your kids with their favorite movie. With some of the services, you can even download episodes and movies directly to your phone using airport Wi-Fi. You’ll be glad you did when you’re back on the plane.
- Buy a book: Spend time at one of the many bookstores in the airport finding the perfect book to pass the time. Being stranded in an airport can be boring, so it is the best time to escape to another world with that book you have been meaning to read all year.
- Workout while you wait: Some airports are equipped with gyms and meditation centers. It could be said that this healthy trend started at San Francisco International (SFO) in 2012 when they opened a noise-free yoga studio in terminals 1 and 2. Many other airports and followed suit and SFO has expanded its offerings.
- Relax at one of the airport spas: Weather delays can be stressful, but they don’t have to be! Head to the closest airport spa and treat yourself to a relaxing back massage, manicure and pedicure, or a lovely foot massage to pass the time.
Whatever your plans are this winter, Best Western Hotels & Resorts is there to help you stay well rested and happy. Your next extended layover could become an opportunity to explore a new city and relax with your favorite amenities. From our Best Western family to yours, we wish you a safe and rewarding holiday travel season!